Favourite, Tips

Can we become self-sufficient in water? – 2 Case Studies to support.


When we were planning for Hotel fifteen years back, I had the idea of reusing the sewage water. At that time, the cost of treatment was very high, and the recovery also was significantly less. Fast forward, I had no idea in my wildest dreams that I would be putting up a Sewage treatment plant for our family-run hotel in Palladam. Palladam is a small town near the famous Tirupur known for its banian manufacturing. Palladam is an arid area with significantly less rainfall, and the source of drinking water is from the Government and water tankers.



1st Case Study


I always wanted to save water and reuse the water, so we decided to put a sewage treatment plant. The plant helped us in more than two ways; one thing was we kept water, and the second there was no proper drainage system in Palladam, and the sewage treatment took care of it.


OxyO’s sewage treatment plant recovers almost 98 % of the water we use for multiple purposes. We are using the treated water for Gardening, which is nearly 30% of the water. Provisions for flushing has been made, which is around 30% of water usage. In total, 60% of the water is reused. The balance water is safely let in the drainage.



2nd Case Study


The second case study is of a Textile plant where they had a very od conventional treatment plant.


The textile plant near Sultanpet in Tamilnadu had huge water problems, as they were always short of water. The company had to purchase water for their staff at a whopping cost of 7 lakhs per month as their wells and water supply was not enough for their company staff of approximately 2500. They were consuming close to 3 lakh litres, and they had to buy from outside, costing them dearly.


They also had a sewage treatment plant that was almost 10 years old and was not operational. As their multiple pumps were breaking down often, and the company had to shut down the plant. We visited the plant and collected the details of the existing plant’s drawing and equipment.  We revamped the plant, and now the treatment plant can treat 150 KLD of water.


The recovered treated water is almost 98% and is used for multiple purposes. They have lots of garden area, and nearly 30% to 40% is used for Gardening. Then the balance water is used for flushing toilets, thus saving them almost 3 Lakhs of rupees per month.


Previously the sewage water was overflowing, because of that it was creating bad odour, and the water was going to waste. Now the water is safely treated at reused.


From both these case studies, we can conclude that we can become self-sufficient in water by reusing the treated water as more than 95% of water is recovered and reused. The balance water of 5% to 10% can be taken care of by a rainwater harvesting system.


You can also check on the detailed case study of the textile plant in the below link.






Arun Karunakaran

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

Related Article


5 Ideas to Lower the Maintenance in a waste water treatment plant

The sewage treatment plant can become complicated and troublesome if it is not well planned. As sewage treatment plants come with different technologies, every technology has its list of equipment. Some treatment plants have l more than a dozen pieces of equipment, and they require a workforce to maintain the plant.

5 Benefits when you have a Chemical-free treatment in Waste water treatment plants

There are different sewage treatment technologies and designs like MBBR, MBR, SBR and FBR. Apart from that, there is a chemical and biological process.  Majorly Biological treatment process is followed to treat the wastewater, but some companies use chemicals to achieve the desired results in the Biological process.
Toilet flush

6 Usages of treated water – 3 domestic usage and commercial usage

In places where there are water shortages, treatment plants are the best option. The treated water is the most reliable and consistent source of water. The reason is that the treated water is under the user's control, unlike other water sources that are not in anybody's control, making it unreliable. In those places, sewage treatment plants can be a permanent solution. Proper treatment can recover more than 95% - 98%  of the water and reuse them.



Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Arun & Nagaswaroop

Personal favourites
Case Study

Can we become self-sufficient in water? – 2 Case Studies to support.


Design Approach for Sewage Treatment Plant: A Case Study on STP on a Private Textile company, Kamanaickenpalayam, Tamilnadu.

piqsels.com-id-fikjp (1)

Debunking 6 Myths about sewage treatment plants

Eco-Friendly Solutions
Explore Sustainable Ideas