SHAM SUNDAR SUBBARAO . . B.E.(Mechanical), MSc( Renewable Energy, Germany).
Head , NIE- CREST, ( NIE- Centre For Renewable Energy & Sustainable Technologies)
& Associate Professor, Department Of Mechanical Engineering., The National Institute Of Engineering (NIE), Mysore- 570008. INDIA. Tel: +91 (0) 821 4250502. Mob. +91 9972695511
SHAMSUNDAR SUBBARAO – is currently, Head , of NIE-Centre For Renewable Energy & Sustainable Technologies.(NIE-CREST) and Associate Professor in Department Of Mechanical Engineering at The National Institute Of Engineering,( NIE), Mysore, India . The National Institute Of Engineering is one of the prestigious Engineering Institute in India which has been started before independence .i.e. in the year 1946 .
He has done his Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Karnatak University, Dharwad, Karnataka, India during 1985-89 and Masters Degree in Renewable Energy,(1999-2000) from University of Oldenburg, Germany, under prestigious DAAD scholarship (German Academic Exchange programme) .
He has over 20 years of experience in designing Reneweable Energy and sustainable Technologie systems. He is specialized in Biogas Technology from Kitchen waste for thermal, electricity and compression to cylinders & Organic waste, RE- Microgrids, Biomass Energy Technologies , Solar Energy , Rainwater harvesting , and other sustainable & green technologies . He also has more than 31 years of Teaching Experience in the Higher education sector in the area of Mechanical Engineering Technologies.
He is also involved in International and National consultancy, & projects , promotion & dissemination of Renewable & sustainable Technologies.
He actively participates in many rural development programs to promote renewable energy technologies in rural Karnataka. He has conducted many workshops and training programmes on Renewable Energy , Rainwater Harvesting technologies to the rural/urban people under service to community projects .
Some of the major Renewable Energy & Sustainable Technology project implemented/currently in progress by him include :
- Waste to wealth projects – Converting organic waste to compost projects in houses, schools, apartments.at
- Established ,Pilot Kitchen waste Biogas plants projects at Port villa, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu Islands in the South pacific.(2018)
- IHU – WASH – Innovation Hub for Urban Water ,Sanitation and Health Project WASH Chair @ NIE, Mysore. Project in collaboration with Mysore city corporation & NIUA( National Institute Of Urban Affairs), New Delhi, sponsored by USAID 2018-2019.
- Renewable energy integrated Microgrids to remote villages in co-operation with University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.(2017)
- Consultant for establishing 1000kg/day Kitchen waste Biogas plant at Correction facility , Suva, Fiji Islands in the south (2017)
- Installation of 1000kg/day Biogas plant at Mysore Zoo ( BARC , IndiaTechnology).
- Installation Of 100Kg/Day Kitchen Waste Biogas Plant’s at , Pramathi school, Mysore, HUL Mysuru, ATI ( Administrative Training Institute, Mysore) , Postal Training centre, Karwar Naval base, NIE Boys Hostel, Mysuru, and many
- More than 100 Nos, Small Kitchen waste Biogas Plants including houses of Mr.Randeep, DC, Mysuru, Mrs.Suma shamsundar, Smt. Manjula guruprasad,Smt.Radha Ganesh, villages near Bidadi under BOSH CSR project and many more.
- Rainwater Harvesting Design/Scheme to Prestigious Mysore Palace, Mysore, India , Mysore silk factory, ATI, AIISH ,ZP Mysuru, and many houses and Institutions.
- Fuel Efficient Biomass Cook Stoves at Chamundi hill ,Manthralaya, and Many Villages around
- Establishing 185Kw, 100Kw, 10Kw and 30Kw solar grid tied and off grid PV system at NIE main campus, NIE-IT, NIE Science collage.
- Design and Implementation of ARANYAKA – Sustainable, Renewable Energy based Anti poaching Unit at Bandipur National Park( 2012), Biodiel to
- Principal Investigator for Water project with MacMaster University,
- Design of Ecofriendly Anganawadi kendras to Tribal hamlets of Periyapatna taluq, Mysuru, India
- He is coordinator SEAN-DEE ( South East Asian Network on Disaster & Environmental engineering) project sponsored by DAAD, Germany. SEAN DEE is a network of five international universities viz. Uni. Of Kassel, Germany, , NIE Mysuru, BVB Mysuru, Tribhuvan University Nepal, and 2 universities from Bangladesh . He has facilitated visit of more than 30 students and 4 faculty members of NIE , Mysuru to University of Kassel , Germany with DAAD financial
assistance of 100Euros per student for a 10 day workshops & long term sponsorships to students.
- He played a major role in facilitating “German Advisory Council On Global Change “ (WBGU) a 9 member high level delegation from Germany to his institute in the
- He has also traveled extensively in India and abroad viz. USA, Germany, Vanuatu , Fiji, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Hongkong, France, Austria, China, Dubai, and many more
- He has also established a good network with some of the International Universities/ Institutions viz. University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA on Microgrids, Disaster & Environmental Engineering, University of Kassel, Germany, Tribhuvan university, Nepal and many
- He is co-ordinator Mysore District Biofuel I&D centre, Govt. Of Karnataka at NIE Mysuru which hosts a 50liter/batch Biodiesel production unit at NIE,
- Awards : Pride of Mysuru Award-2015, Pragathi Prathistana, Mysore, 05-04-2015 Best Engineer Award-2014”, Lions club of Mysore, 01-10-2014. Dakshina Kesari – Best Engineer Award-2011, Lions club of Mysore, South, 25- 09-2011. DAAD-Germany, Scholarship for Master Degree studies, 1999-2000
- Organic farming ( Kanana organic farm, – Involved in developing 4 acre community organic farm near Mysuru ). All Fruits, vegetables, pulses is grown in this farm for self sufficiency in food.
- Trekking, Hiking, Nature study, Cycling,
Updated : Sept 2020.